The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Kite Runner

My assistant, an Afghani American whose well to do parents escaped Afghanastahn after the Soviet invasion, lent me her copy of The Kite Runner a couple of weeks ago and suggested I should read it.

It took me about 2 weeks to get into the book, and while the first 10 pages were good, they just didn't draw me into it in any more depth. I ended up putting it down (usually a sign I'll never pick it up again) but for some reason this weekend started the novel again (something I never do). I am glad I did, because when I started for me trip yesterday morning I was at page 20 and last night at about 11:30 I finished what may be the best work of fiction I have read all year long.

If you haven't had a chance to read this haunting tale of a families struggles to remain together and conquer their cultural demons in the face of the unrelenting oppression imposed by communists and the taliban, than you ought to stop what ever it is your doing right now and read it.

The story will move and haunt you, and if you remain a Democrat, then you simply have no heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home