The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Pigs In our Back Yard

The great thing about blogging is the ability to showcase the real time developments of various bloggers positions. As I've stated a couple of times here, I am opposed to Arlen Specter assuming the Chairmanship of the Judiciary Committee.

However, I think Arlen has played the rabid conservative wing of the party to his benefit on this issue and is now in a position to extract real demands out of the Administration.

Why?? Because as Hugh Hewitt keeps arguing, and Glenn Reynolds continues to agree, pro baby conservatives are not the be all and end all of the Republican party.

In fact, Hugh's latest, where he draws comparisons between the debate over Specter to Zell Miller's departure from the democratic party is the most convincing argument put forth so far on Specter's behalf. It has convinced me that we should back off the efforts.

Of course, this is probably in line with my long standing prior position, my hard and fast rule of political and life survival, Pigs Get Slaughtered. Conservatives should take a breather and learn a lesson from gay rights activists, who probably regret filing that Massachusetts lawsuit right now.

Conservatives, as I said earlier, be careful what you wish for. Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor.

UPDATE: Instalanche!!!! Welcome and feel free to take a look around.

UPDATE: Instapundit reader Paul Stukel thinks the fight is not over abortion but whether Specter believes in a broad spectrum of moderate and right wing constitutional thought, especially concerning a living constitution. While I agree with him on this issue, I think the debate has been effectively framed as a fight over abortion. Hence, my comment above that Specter has played the conservatives to his benefit. Of course, as Glenn points out, The Corner has been largely treating this from the begining as a debate over whether we will continue to kill our children or not. Sadly, I think Specter's been able to marshal that into very favorable press coverage. My feeling is the White House isn't gonna touch this with a 10 foot pole.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home