The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Dell v. Apple

Jeff Jarvis is having trouble with his Dell Laptop
But what really irks me is that they say if they sent someone to my home -- which I paid for -- he wouldn't have the parts, so I might as well just send the machine in and lose it for 7-10 days -- plus the time going through this crap. So I have this new machine and paid for them to FUCKING FIX IT IN MY HOUSE and they don't and I lose it for two weeks.

DELL SUCKS. DELL LIES. Put that in your Google and smoke it, Dell.


I commented that he really ought to consider getting a Mac. When my iMac crashed on me, I picked it up and hauled into the Apple Store in Tysons Corner Virginia one Saturday afternoon. After waiting a reasonable 45 minutes (I put my name on the list and grabbed some coffee and lunch and shopped at LL Bean next door) for help the Genius Bar employee proceeded to spend OVER 2 HOURS with me checking the system, the hard drive, etc, rescuing my files (2 years of photos of my son) and backing them up on DVD and then reinstalling the OS.

Didn't cost me a dime (even though the iMac was out of warranty and I didn't buy Apple Care plan - would have been able to schedule an appointment had I purchased it).

This, and many others but mostly this, is the main reason I am so gung ho on Apple. They have hit on a winning strategy - one that the super price conscience Wintel world just can't understand - people will pay for easy to use top quality products that look sharp and come with superior customer service.

Sadly, it looks like Dell may have lost its way. I used to be very Bullish on Dell - and made what for me is a small fortune on their stock in the early tech boom (actually ended up buying my house and first car on the proceeds of its sale) though I also made a bunch on Apple (a larger percentage, but much less $$$$ when I purchased it at $11 a share in 1996, sold it at $110 in late 1998 repurchased it at $20 a share in 2002 and just resold most of it at $77 or so).

Anyway, I no longer have any Dell but have kept a fair amount of Apple (and Microsoft) cause I do believe they are in it for the long haul (Ask me who I think is going to hold Hollywood by the balls within the next ten years).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home