The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Death and Taxes

They say there are only two certain things in life, death and taxes. As I complained last month, the process of purchasing a new (even if it is used) car in Fairfax County Virginia is one of those special occasions where the tax man really gets a chance to screw you good.

Surprisingly though, after my sojourn to the Department of Motor Vehicle Extortion, I ended up paying significantly less than I thought, though I knew my time to service Lord Fairfax would hit at some point.

What I didn't expect, was that it would hit so soon. See, while the $25 Vehicle sticker fee (a payment to prove you paid your taxes) was already paid for 2005 by the Cherokee's previous owners, I haven't shown myself before Lord Fairfax yet and he now demands my payment of the $25 too (I think they might actually give me a new sticker ta boot, too). So, thats $50 for one car to show its owner has paid taxes. I guess I wouldn't mind so much if the previous owner was refunded their $25 - or refunded a pro rata portion of it while I was charged the remained (lets say $12.50 each), but thats not the way Lord Fairfax works.

Fucking Taxes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home