The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Monday, July 25, 2005

The Nightstand Meme

Jeff is asking what's on my nightstand.

The answer: nothing. I have a three year old who is fascinated by guns. There are no guns anywhere he can reach them. However, I do have a 12 gauge Browning BPS 3 short steps from my bed (with shells not too far from it) and I have my SS Colt 1991 in a small safe right in the walk in closet.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



This arrangement, of course, is going to have to change soon. I've been looking at options but we haven't decided on one yet - though we take it day by day.

I pass this onto the following five - some of whom are parent's so their advice will be worth soliciting:

Cowboy Blob proves what we've always known, be prepared.
Les Jones sheds some light on his night-stand.
Jay G puts up an excellent response
The Geek With A 45 (does that answer the question???)
Bitter Bitch - Don't go fuckin with her.

UPDATE: At this juncture everyone but the Geek has responded. Since he's off on vacation somewhere we may have to revisit in a couple of weeks. Anyway, I am left with some parting thoughts.

First, I didn't even think about listing non gun items on my night-stand. In that regard, it includes a table lamp (matching the one on my wife's side of the bed), a telephone, and whatever book I am currently reading (right now Guiliani's Leadership is there as is James Michener's Chesapeake which I am trying - for the umpteenth time - to finish).
Second, I am relieved to see no one else has guns within easy reach of children. My storage solutions seem about right for our situation - though the need for something more substantial grows each and every day. One of those quick access safe's like Bitter has is tempting but I suspect my son can figure out the combination too easily.
Third, I ought to see about getting a big D cell mag-light flashlight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home