The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Friday, January 13, 2006

Gun Smithing

Well, I guess this counts as my first ever Gun Smithing Post.

Watch out, next thing you know and I'm gonna be giving Head and Uncle a run for the money.

Got two very exciting packages in the mail today. One, you'll learn about tomorrow. The other one, had a Chip McCormick adjustable 1911 AUTO LIGHTWEIGHT TRIGGER that I ordered from Brownell's earlier this week.

When I first got my Colt 1991A1 I had two immediate plans for it. I was going to replace the ass ugly black rubber grips and I was going to put a nice adjustable aluminum trigger on it in place of the cheap black plastic thing. Rosewood grips - and some Chip McCormick Power Mags - were on within days (a week at the most). Its taken about 9 months to get to the trigger.

Ended up ordering it and did a complete detail strip of it with the help of Sightm1911.com. From there, it was pretty easy to switch the triggers out and only a matter of reassembly. Yeah, right. Remind me not to take apart my guns the night before I have an article do at the publishers for work. It took all of 5 minutes to detail strip the Colt, it took almost 2 hours to put back together (mostly trying to figure out the Series 80 safety).

While Sightm1911 has some great diagrams and excellent photographs of the process, they are a bit weak on the reassembly. Luckily, I found a great article at Defense Review which when combined with Sightm1911's pictures let me figure out the Series 80 deal. I'm now pretty confident about doing other simple 1911 mods . . . what should be next?

Here she is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home