The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Rocky Top Brigade

I was away for most of the day. I'll likewise be gone most of tomorrow as well. I'm caught up in some research and trying to ruin someone’s life. How fun.

In the meantime, check out the updated blogroll. In addition to the NRA-ILA Press Bar I have also added all of the Rocky Top Brigade to my roll. Maybe this will finally get me on the exclusive Instapundit roll.


Oh, also, for a period of a couple of hours the other day I was listed as a LARGE MAMMAL with almost 300 links to this site. How cool!!!!!!! I've got to think that was the result of some lining up between the Blogs for Bush links and the Rocky Top Brigade. Neato! Kind of like when all the planets come into alignment.

In honor of this event, I think Rocky Top will be today's (much delayed) Monday Song Lyric!!



Rocky Top
by Boudleax and Felice Bryant

Wish that I was on ol' ROCKY TOP,
Down in the Tennessee hills;
Ain't no smoggy smoke on ROCKY TOP,
Ain't no telephone bills.
Once I had a girl on ROCKY TOP,
Half bear, other half cat;
Wild as a mink, but sweet as soda pop,
I still dream about that.

ROCKY TOP, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me;
Good ol' ROCKY TOP--
ROCKY TOP Tennessee, ROCKY TOP Tennessee.

Once two strangers climbed ol' ROCKY TOP
Lookin' for a moonshine still;
Strangers ain't come down from ROCKY TOP
Reckon they never will.
Corn won't grow at all on ROCKY TOP
Dirt's too rocky by far;
That's why all the folks on ROCKY TOP
Get their corn from a jar.

ROCKY TOP, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me;
Good ol' ROCKY TOP--
ROCKY TOP Tennessee, ROCKY TOP Tennessee.

I've had years of cramped-up city life
Trapped like a duck in a pen
All I know is it's a pity life
Can't be simple again.

ROCKY TOP, you'll always be
Home sweet home to me;
Good ol' ROCKY TOP--
ROCKY TOP Tennessee, ROCKY TOP Tennessee

For what its worth, I was there the first time Phish ever played in Tennessee. At our urging, they played Rocky Top for the encore. It was part of their repertoire, but until that day they didn't know it was the school song. They've since returned many times but have never played a better version of Fire (the Jimi Hendrix song) than at this show.
02-27-91 Arnold's Flamingo Grill, Knoxville, TN

1: Golgi Apparatus, The Divided Sky, I Didn't Know, The Landlady, You Enjoy Myself, Fee, My Sweet One, Split Open and Melt, Bouncing Around the Room, Fire

2: Suzy Greenberg-> Buried Alive-> Cavern, The Squirming Coil, David Bowie, Lawnboy-> Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, The Sloth, Love You, Possum

E: Rocky Top


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home