Here is a basic recipie for Avgolemono Soup, one of the tastier things you will ever have the pleasure to consume.
Next week, I'll highlight some ways in which you can use it as not just a soup, but as the super base for a variety of other culinary delights (think lamb and grape leaves).
8 cups chicken broth.
3 medium eggs.
1/2 cup rice.
Juice from two lemons.
Black pepper -- fresh ground
Nutmeg -- ground
1. Bring chicken broth to a boil. Salt to taste.
2. Add rice, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from fire.
4. In a blender, beat the three eggs, slowly add the lemon juice to the eggs.
5. Add one cup of chicken broth, do not stop blending. The constant blending is the secret to prevent curdling of this delicious soup.
6. When the eggs and broth are well mixed, pour this mixture back into the remaining broth and rice.
7. Stir well over heat, but do not allow to boil.
8. Sprinke with pepper or nutmeg if desired.