The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Oklahoma City

Cam's right, I had forgetton today was the anniversary of the terrible Oklahoma City tragedy.

My heart goes out to the people of that fine city.

In April of 2005 I had just graduated college and was working in the marketing department of APC, a job I got partly through my position as a help desk/help line staffer at the University of Rhode Island computer department. I wasn't a computer science major, and I think thats something they liked. I knew alot about computers back then and yet, as a Poli Sci major destined for law school I was able to communicate and assist the vast student body in ways the computer folks couldn't.

Anyway, APC was just down the street from my house at the time. Having forgotten lunch, I headed home and my wife (girlfriend at the time) was sitting in the living room watching CNN and crying.

We were 100% certain it was Arab terrorists. We were wrong, and shocked, when they arrested the ghouls responsible.

I guess one reason why this story is less remembered these days is probably as a result of the capture, conviction, and execution of the person responsible. For many Americans it was a sense of closure, though I suspect that the hole in the heart of Oklahoma will never be closed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home