The Countertop Chronicles

"Run by a gun zealot who's too blinded by the NRA" - Sam Penney of RaisingKaine.com

Monday, February 05, 2007

Modeling

I admit it, I'm a geek.

Going way way back. Had a pong. Had a Vic 20 and a Commodore 64. GI Joes and Star Wars action figures too. What I also loved as a kid was model airplane kits.

The wife and I have been looking for something to get my son into, little gifts for him and things I can do around the house after the baby is born. While getting a frame at Michaels, we came across the great selection of plastic models and supplies they carry. While still probably a little advanced for a 4 turning 5 year old, he got excited about the idea of building planes.

So, for Christmas his grandfather gave him this model of a P-51D Mustang. He took it out and asked to put it together, so yesterday afternoon, before the Super Bowl, we headed over to Michaels to get paint and glue and the other essentials. While there, I stumbled on this kit for a Lockheed P-38J (my favorite plane of World War II) and picked it up too.

We ended up sparying all the parts down with a coat of aircraft metal gray before the game, and then post game I began to paint the cockpit of the P-51D for him. Its the first model I've built in 15 21 years or so, but I really enjoyed it. Tonight, and over the next couple of weeks, we are going to construct both of these planes.

I'll post pictures when I am done.

Anyone else out there into Airplane Modeling? Got any good online resource links? Suppliers? Neat models I should check out?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home